One of the last Trustee's when the chapel closed in 1999 was Mrs Lillian Callnon, who was then the Secretary. After her death in 2006 her daughter Carol Mason acquired papers and account books relating to the chapel and before passing them to the Record Office she has been kind enough to lend them to the History Group for me to make some notes.
Reading through the minutes last night really brought it home to me how much the members loved their chapel - Mrs Callnon said in one place that sometimes there had been four generations of her family at services together.
From the 1970s onwards you read of their struggle to get good attendances at Anniversary Services and Carol Concerts. Their membership dwindled until it was four people - and these so afflicted with age and ill health that you could feel their distress coming through the pages. It brought the people back to life and showed how they had lived - not, as today, that most of them are just names on the grave stones.
It was such a sad day when they finally closed after the Carol Service in December 1999. All their years of trying to maintain and keep the building in good repair came to nothing, for in a few months it was being demolished.
No wonder it broke their hearts.
I'm just so glad that we've done something to try and get the chapel gardens looking something decent - they at least deserve that.
The following was published in LLANTEG - LOOKING BACK - 2010
SOME NOTES ON MOUNTAIN CHAPEL
(Taken from notebooks and papers found after Mrs Lilian Callnon’s death and kindly lent to the History Society by her daughter Carol Mason. Mrs Callnon was Secretary and one of the last members of Lanteague Mountain Chapel when it closed in 1999)
annotated by Ruth Roberts
The first chapel had been formed in Bevlin field (east of present chapel yard) in 1814, and the present chapel (before it was demolished) had been built in 1889. A description is in our first history book: Llanteg – Down The Years.
On 10th August 1889 O.H.P.Scourfield signed over as a Deed of Gift, ‘This plot of ground, half an acre in extent on Lanteague Mountain, now belonging to the farm of Oaklands in the parish of Crunwere in the county of Pembroke.
‘I Owen Henry Philipps Scourfield Bart of Williamston hereby give as a free gift to that society of Christians called Congregationalists now worshipping near the spot to them and their successors of the same faith and principles for ever to build a chapel on, to form a burial ground and to erect any buildings required for the convenience of worshippers thereat but for no other purpose whatever. Present Pastor - Lewis James, Deacons - Thomas Phillips and David Williams.’
A meeting was convened in March 1915 for the appointment of new Trustees. Rev’d John Howell Phillips of The Retreat, Amroth was the chairman.
The old continuing Trustee from 1889 was shown as David Williams of Trenewydd, farmer. The new Trustees chosen at the 1915 meeting were:-
Rev’d John Howell Phillips, The Retreat, Amroth Parish, Minister
Benjamin George Evans, Pendeilo Cottage, Amroth Parish, Gardener
Thomas John, Blaentydwell, Lampeter Velfrey Parish, Farmer
Thomas John, Blaentydwell, Lampeter Velfrey Parish, Farmer
George Scourfield, The Griggs, Crunwere Parish, Farmer
John Callen, Cwmshead, Amroth Parish, Farmer
Thomas David Richards, Post Office, Amroth Parish, Grocer
William John, Green Villa, Ludchurch Parish, LabourerSigned John Howell Phillips (chairman)
Hannah Williams, Long Lane (wife)
Gladys Scourfield, The Griggs (spinster)
In 1935 members and friends gave their labour and the materials for free when they coloured the chapel out.
In 1937 Lanteague received a lovely Bible from Mrs Jones (wife of the late Rev’d W.Jones) in memory of her husband.
1939 saw the special Jubilee services on the 6th, 7th and 11th June (see Newspaper articles elsewhere in this book). In April William Shanklin had become Treasurer and Deacon, Mrs Hannah Williams, Long Lane, was also a Deaconess, with Archibald Frazer John, Blaentidwell, being a Deacon.
31 July 1941 saw organist Lilian Shanklin marry James Callnon at Reynalton Chapel. A licence had been applied for at Lanteague Chapel but had not arrived in time.
In 1941 it states that the deeds are held by South Wales Congregational Trust from September and in the care of Mr J.M.H.Hawkins, Midland Bank, Bridgend. There was a solicitor’s bill for perusing the Deeds and preparing the application to the Charity Commission for an order appointing the South Wales English Congregational Union (Incorporated) Trustees of the Chapel with Rev’d J.H.Phillips, B.G.Evans and William John and establishing a scheme for the future regulating of the charity. (It was later stated in March 1979 that South Wales Congregational Trust held the deeds to the Chapel by order of the Charity Commission.)
It was not until 4 January 1947 that the first wedding was held there – of John Callen and Constance Gladys Bradshaw. They received a gift of a Bible from the chapel.
In October 1948 Hugh James, Blackheath, was paid £15 12s 6d for painting the chapel in June and doing liming of the Vestry and roof repairs. In August 1949 he received £8 10s for more painting.
1949 saw the Diamond Jubilee celebrations of the building of the ‘new’ chapel.
In June 1955 they paid Miss Evans £2 10s for half a year’s cleaning.
In August 1955 William and Margaret Shanklin and family gave a Communion Table. In September Hannah Williams and Mrs May Callen gave an aisle carpet. Carpet for the back of the pulpit was donated by Mrs P.Phillips, Mr Glynne Phillips, Mrs Hannah Williams and Mrs S.Hodge.
In September 1955 the Secretary, Mr B.G.Evans, resigned through ill health. He had been a member for the past 50 years and was conferred with an honorary lifelong Deaconship of Lanteague Chapel for his long and faithful services. Mr Evans expressed a wish not to accept any gift for his long service. Mr W.Shanklin, Upper Castle Ely, then took over as Secretary and Mr Glynne Phillips, Brynhyfred, as Treasurer. On 25th Glynne Phillips and Wilfred Callen, Water Goch (now The Hawthorns), were appointed Deacons.
In October 1955 a wedding gift of a walnut coffee table was given to Rev’d and Mrs Stanley Jones from the Deacons and members.
In March 1956 pulpit clothes and table runners of blue velvet from an anonymous donor were dedicated.
The Manse at Longstone, Ludchurch, was used for the minister of Longstone and Lanteague – in April 1956 it was decided to give £25 towards its decoration.
In May 1956 Miss Bessie Evans resigned as cleaner and Mollie James took over at £5 a year.
A new pulpit chair was dedicated in May 1956, given by Mr B.G.Evans and his daughter Bessie.
On 14 April 1957 the agreement for the connection of electricity was signed – £7 10s for 6 years.
Also in 1957 Daniel Lewis of Penlan House, Tavernspite, bequeathed £25 to the chapel.
Hugh James was paid £8 for roof repairs in July 1957.
15 December 1957 saw the switching on of the electricity (by William Shanklin) and a dedication service. A fundraising concert was held in the Village Hall to fund the connection and £33 was raised.
Alfred Callen left a legacy of £50 to the chapel in September 1958.
Mr B.G.Evans died in 1958 and was buried in Templeton.
July 1959 saw the chapel receive £1 from Mr Dale of Tenby for the ‘old organ’.
In November 1959 Hannah Williams, Katie Davies and Mr and Mrs Shanklin bought an organ from Dales in Tenby for £21 – it was dedicated on the 21st.
In 1960 Mollie James resigned as cleaner and was replaced by Miss Josephine Phillips. It was in this year that a Sunday school was started by Rev’d R.G.Cole.
For quite a few years around 1960 Mrs Bowen made the Anniversary cake.
The bad winter of 1963 also had its effects here. The December 1962 service on the 30th was cancelled because of snow and no service was again logged until 17 February 1963.
(The late Mike Evans stated, in his column in the Tenby Observer of 3 Feb 2003, that ‘It started to snow at 3pm on Boxing Day (1962)....byroads remained impassable for weeks. In fact the road to Whitland from Llanteg and Tavernspite was closed until Good Friday’.)
The Bible was rebound in July 1963 for £3 18s.
In 1964 Lanteague Chapel reopened after being closed for two Sundays for renovation work, which had been carried out by Arthur Callen and Ronnie Glanville at a cost of £50.
Mrs Hannah Williams died on 29 June 1964. Mrs Williams had been a faithful member for more than 60 years and a Deacon for 30 years. She loved her chapel and would do all in her power to help at any time. She was loved by all that knew her and was greatly missed. Mrs Williams lived to 82 years and worshipped at Lanteague from her early years. Her husband died on 16 November 1953 and is buried in the same grave. She left £50 in her Will for the chapel.
Mr A.Callen was paid £16 10s 04d in June 1967 for repairs to the pulpit. And in July he received £48 for a concrete path in the chapel yard and repairs to the Vestry and toilet. The repairs consisted of:-
New piece of floor in the chapel where the stove was
New timber where stove pipes were
Concrete path down chapel yard
Repair crack above stable door
Hand rail on Vestry steps
Repair Vestry windows
Snowcem side of Vestry steps
Repair water troughs
Make coal house into toilet
New timber to support beams in stable and coal house
Lay pipes each side of chapel to carry rainwater from roof to each side of yard.
Also in December 1967 the chapel paid £26 to the Co-op at Kilgetty for eleven yards of carpet.
1969 - Mr J.O.Nicholls of Kilgetty was paid £104 13s 10d for re-roofing and painting. He also removed the chimney.
1970 saw the death of Mrs Mary Phillips of Haulfryn, Red Roses, who was 78 years old. She had been a lifelong member and was always ready to help in any way until her illness of later years. She always attended every service and was sadly missed.
The Manse at Longstone was sold, with a third of the proceeds of £4,900 going to Lanteague (£1,558), with Longstone Chapel having two thirds. Longstone did not join the United Reform Movement so the partnership between the two chapels was now severed.
In 1972 Cissie Maud Williams, Whitland, left £10 to the chapel and an anonymous donor gave twelve communion glasses.
By the end of 1972 the cleaner had to give up through ill health after eleven years. In January 1973 Ruth Bevan was appointed cleaner. She received £10 a year, going up to £15 by 1974.
January 1973 - £10 donation received from the Will of Cissie Maud Williams.
In 1973 Lanteague joined the United Reformed Movement – ‘we hope we have taken the right decision with God’s guidance’.
December 1973 – Mr and Mrs Bertie John, Broadmoor, gave a hymn board in memory of Mr John’s mother.
In 1974 the chapel must have decided to get tough with its wayward members. Two letters went out – one to Arthur Callen, Council House, to inform him that he was no longer a member of Lanteague Chapel as he had never attended services nor taken communion since 1958. The second letter went to Wilfred Callen of Long Lane, also informing him that he was no longer a member as he had not carried out the duties of Deacon since 1955 nor taken communion since 1964. They stated that ‘the chapel has to be kept going by regular members attending, otherwise the chapel doors would have been closed years ago’.
(Note stating that this was the year of the ‘great drought’ – no rain for three months.)
1977 saw the purchase of a new organ – with a deposit of £36.84 in January, followed by the balance of £337.
In April 1977 the death is recorded of Mrs Margaret Gwendoline Shanklin of Cuckoo Wood, aged 93 years. She was the beloved wife of the Secretary Mr W.Shanklin and she was the eldest member of Lanteague Chapel and always attended regularly until her health failed her.
In September 1978 the Secretary, William Shanklin, retired, aged 88 years. He had given 43 years’ service, first as Treasurer and then as Secretary. He was sadly missed. He had to retire due to failing health but still took an active interest and supported the chapel financially.
Deaconess and organist, Mrs Lilian Callnon, daughter of W.Shanklin, took over as Secretary from 17th September 1978.
Owing to extreme ill health, Mr Glynne Phillips, Haulfryn, was confined to hospital and forced to retire as Treasurer – he had served for 23 years.
In September 1977 Mr Cole was paid £40 for painting the chapel.
In 1978 cream and brown paint and putty was purchased for the outside - £18.32.
1978 also saw the drawing up of Burial Rules for the graveyard. These were copied down by Mrs Callnon for her father Mr Shanklin who was 88 years of age and according to Mrs Callnon was ‘very shaky’:-
Burials Committee to the officers of the church, who must be consulted before the burial in the burial ground adjacent to the chapel.
All members, their husbands and wives and their children will be given a free burial plot on their death, if the family wish to accept. For anyone else buried there, after consulting the committee, a charge will be made.
It was also decided, in view of keeping the yard tidy as far as possible, and also in line with other churches, in present-day rules, to allow traditional headstones, but not kerbs, owing to the difficulty of cutting grass between the graves. Headstones to be kept in line, as tidy as possible.
From July 1978 William Shanklin was unable to attend services due to age, and was confined to home. He lived with his son Tom and daughter-in-law, but was still interested in chapel affairs.
Mrs Lilian Callnon, her father Mr William Shanklin and Mr Roger Jones
November 1978 saw two gifts purchased – William Shanklin received a Family Bible in recognition of 43 years service and Glynne Phillips received an inscribed wristwatch (presented at home on 19 December when he came out of hospital).
On 31 December 1978 the service was cancelled due to ‘very heavy snow’.
In February 1980 a meeting was held to discuss the deeds. It was decided to continue Trusteeship with the Congregational Trust in co-ordination with the present Trustees of Lanteague Chapel – providing the charges are reasonable.
Trustees were Mrs Lilian Callnon, Mr William Shanklin (89 years) and Mr R.Jones.
(Mrs Callnon was Secretary, Mr Jones Treasurer and Mrs Jones Assistant Treasurer.)
The United Reformed Church Magazine covered the ‘Tenby Group’ – Amroth, Llanteg, Penally, St Florence and Tenby. In the May 1980 issue they said that for the Easter service they had welcomed Rev’d H.S.J.Gray, after his trip to Israel. ‘It was good to see the oldest member, Mr W.Shanklin, who had been unwell and in bed all winter. He will be 90 in June. Eleri Jones was here on holiday from Wrexham – she is the daughter of our Treasurer and was given a Bible when she left to go teaching. We welcomed Andrew Mason, the 10-year-old son of Carol Mason and grandson of our Secretary, on holiday from Lingfield Hospital School, Surrey, and his health much improved. We were sorry to hear that Mr & Mrs Garrett were unwell, they usually regularly attend services.’ Sympathies of the chapel also extended to Mrs Garrett on the death of her brother, Mr Tom Phillips. Miss Julie Hellings had returned from holiday abroad - good wishes to her mother for a return to good health.
In July 1980 the magazine recorded that they were sorry to hear of the death of Jack Garrett, husband of Millie Garrett of Middleton – ‘we shall miss him from our worship and extend sympathy to Mrs Garrett in her great loss’. A Sankey Evening was held but there was a disappointing attendance with the chapel only being half full – however ‘friendliness and warmth made up for it’. Again in December an evening of Sacred Films and Carols was held – very disappointing, very badly attended and the ladies had made mince pies and tea – ‘rather a shame folks didn’t turn up’. Through the winter Bible Study was held in members’ homes – ‘we enjoyed the fellowship’.
On 6 February 1981 Mr William Shanklin died suddenly at his home, Maindy, Pentlepoir. On many occasions there had been four generations of the family present at services. Mr Shanklin was 90 years old. During the funeral the chapel was full and people were out in the yard.
The March/April 1981 U.R.C. magazine had no Llanteg news submitted by Mrs Callnon owing to the death of her father, William Shanklin. The May/June magazine had a tribute by Mrs Callnon to her father which said:-
‘A deacon, member, past Secretary and Treasurer and to me a father for whom I thank God for his life and good example. He had been in fellowship at Llanteg for 46 years and before that at Penally U.R.C.’.
A receipt was found relating to a new clock bought from Bisley Munt for £40 in August 1981. This clock was installed on the left wall and inscribed in memory of William Shanklin. A mower was also bought with money collected in his memory. The mower was to be kept at the home of Tom Shanklin as no suitable shed was available at the chapel and also it was Tom who mowed the yard.
The July/August 1981 U.R.C. magazine gave sympathy to Mrs Jones, The Downs, a regular worshipper, on the death of her brother-in-law. Mrs Carol Mason was unable to attend owing to ill health, also Andrew was unwell on the last two occasions he was home for half-term from Lingfield Hospital – he is now improving. They thanked their friends John Badham, David Shanklin and Mr Jenkins for helping members clean up and cut grass in the yard for the anniversary services.
The September/October 1981 magazine stated that they missed Mr and Mrs Deathridge from the services: Mr Deathridge was in hospital and they were ‘remembered in our prayers’. Prayers were also said for young Andrew Mason who had had an accident on his bike and they were pleased to say he was progressing well. After the Royal Wedding celebrations in the village of sports, tea in the Hall, followed by an evening buffet and disco, the Mountain Chapel celebrated in song ‘in our little chapel’ on Sunday 2 August at 8pm. In November 1981 they wished Mrs Pincott happiness ‘when she leaves next month’. Get well wishes were sent to the organist, Mrs Jackson, who had not enjoyed good health for the last few weeks.
Christmas 1981 saw the usual Carol Service – there was then very bad snow for weeks – ‘most people almost locked in for 2 weeks, especially the farmers’.
At the start of 1982 services were cancelled until the end of January. There was bad weather and electricity cuts. The W.I. members delivered milk on sleighs around the village.
In June 1982 the chapel was only half-full for the Anniversary Service. Later in the year the members found it difficult to get preachers and sometimes took the services themselves. There were only seven members and sometimes only about ten at services – and less on many occasions. It was very disappointing, as no young people were present. As was so rightly foretold by Mrs Callnon – ‘one fears for the future of the church’.
In 1983 the Secretary, Mrs Lilian Callnon, moved to Kilgetty, having sold the business (Llanteg Garage). It was decided to now only hold fortnightly services.
In 1984/5 a claim was made regarding structural damage to the porch – this was believed to have been caused by heavy lorries. The Welsh Office refuted this and said that although the porch was of good quality masonry and brickwork, it had been added after the chapel was built and therefore the walls were butted on rather than bonded in. They stated that it was evident there had been movement over the years as previous cracks had been repaired and that ‘traffic does so as of right’, and the problems stemmed from shallow foundations.
In 1985/6 Mr Cole had to repair the roof which was damaged in a storm. He was paid £600 as he also supplied materials and built a new gateway and installed a gate – the old gate was ‘broken and posts finished’ (this was presumably the large gate by the Vestry). It was necessary to protect the cemetery and graves and was ‘a great improvement’. The front gate and entrance had been greatly improved about two years previously when the Welsh Office raised the Trunk Road and the entrance was altered. They built steps down inside the front gate from the road – ‘it was very tidy’.
By 1986 fortnightly services would only consist of six or seven people. Deacons Mr Tom Shanklin and wife Megan did not attend services often due to his health and the distance to travel. Mrs Callnon, who herself was over 70 years old, found it difficult to travel from Kilgetty as she had no transport.
There was more storm damage in 1986 when £71 was spent on roof repairs.
In January 1987 members were shocked to hear of the death of Mr A.C.Hellings. Although not a member he would be missed, as he was always helpful, even helping in the pulpit, and they could always depend on him. It was quite a large funeral. Unfortunately there was a power cut during the service so there was no organ music, but the singing was good.
The 1987 Anniversary Service was poorly attended – Mrs Callnon was on the organ. The chapel was renovated both ends as the plaster had been falling off; the pulpit was also varnished. The shed was done up in the bottom of the yard. As there was no toilet now they put in an Elsan one ‘for emergencies’, until such time as they could put in a flush toilet ‘when the membership increased’. Mr Treharne of Stepaside did the work for £725, with the toilet being given by Mrs Callnon. With the shed now able to be locked they kept the mower there – Mr P.Hellings had taken over keeping the yard mown – Mr T.Shanklin, who had heart trouble, was no longer able to do this and they were grateful to Mr Hellings for taking over. Mrs Callnon had kept the chapel clean and tidy for quite a few years but could no longer come from Kilgetty, so they were grateful to Mrs Jones (wife of the Treasurer), for taking on the cleaning and care of the chapel.
In 1988 they were down in funds as they always gave a lot to charity and again roof repairs cost £120, as did electrical repairs. They held the usual Carol Service but ‘very small in numbers’.
1989 was the chapel’s Centenary Year. The former minister, Rev’d T.J.Hopkins, was asked to the Anniversary Service (he had been at Lanteague from 1938-45 and was 78 years old but still taking three services on Sundays in the Pembroke area). The service was on May 28 at 2.30pm. The chapel was about full. Mr Brown of Tavernspite did the prayer and Mr David Shanklin of Pembroke Dock (former Sunday school pupil and later member) read the lesson. Mrs L.Callnon gave an address on the history of the chapel and Mr Peter Morgan of Manorbier closed in prayer. Mrs Brown was on the organ. Mrs Callnon had also arranged a concert with Kilgetty Male Voice Choir and Lady Artists (one lady was blind and she was presented with a donation for the Pembrokeshire Blind Fund). The concert was very good indeed with the chapel being nearly full and it was enjoyed by all present – friends from most local churches joined them for this occasion.
1990 was the 101st Anniversary – the service was held on May 27 with Rev’d Roy Parker from Camrose. There was a much smaller congregation than the previous year but the singing was good – ‘like the atmosphere, and most friends of our church attended’.
In 1991 the Anniversary Service was on 26 May and the organist was Linda Shanklin – the daughter of David and Janet. This was Linda’s first attempt to play at an event. There were about 25 present and Rev’d Frank Goodwin of Tenby presided.
Repairs were also needed in 1991 to the woodwork at each side of the chapel and loose slates were replaced – cracks in the chapel ceiling were also repaired. In December there was a small Carol Service of only five people – Mr Duffett presided. The Treasurer and his wife were ill and could not attend – but it was a nice service with Mrs Callnon on the organ.
A calender was published for 1993 (by Concept Photography, Swansea) with a lovely picture of the chapel on the front. The Anniversary Service was presided over by Rev’d Gillam of Haverfordwest with even fewer present. Mr Ron Hurlow played and his wife sang a solo.
There was an invoice from G.H.Evans of Kilgetty dated December 1994 for the sale of the following items:
14 foot pine table and 4 trestles, 2 matching bench seats - £30
Large pine scrub top kitchen table - £75
Victorian mahogany wind-out extending table - £190 (with turned legs, no spare leaf and a missing castor).
After commission etc. the chapel received £224.85 profit.
In 1995 the Anniversary Service was with Rev’d Hywel Brown and the attendance was much better than the previous year. Mr Ron Hurlow played the organ and Mrs Hellings recited a poem she had composed – which was very good.
In 1995 there was a total of four members and five coming to services – with no younger members.
Lanteague was known as Church No. 12E19 and in 1998 paid £84 for the upkeep of the yard. There was also £78 for the repairs to the organ. This was after they had paid £43 for organ repairs the previous year.
1996 started with only one service in January. Mrs Callnon wrote that the four or five members were all aged now and ‘the Treasurer and his wife have poor health and are unable to attend’. With the severe winter so far most of them could not make it to the services. Also it was costly to heat the chapel and difficult to keep up financially – it was also getting difficult to get ‘pulpit supplies’ (ministers to take the services) now.
1997 started with no services in January – several people were not at all well so two services were cancelled. There were services in February but members were struggling to get there – not quite recovered – after this the fortnightly services resumed as usual. In April a message was received from friends at Zoar – they had closed their chapel the previous autumn because of floor problems. They had used to attend services and asked if, in the event of a death of a member, they could have the funeral at Lanteague. There was a meeting after the service on 13 April and it was agreed that the members of Lanteague were very willing for this to happen, but hoped that they would get help to clean and prepare the chapel if the occasion arose. Also in April the members discussed the future of the chapel: bearing in mind the age of the Officers and Trustees and the small membership, they felt it wise, if in the (hopefully) distant future, that Lanteague had to close, it was agreed that they wished any money in their funds to be used for the upkeep of the churchyard – in memory of all their past officers and members, who were, or would be, buried there – ‘praying that this will not happen’. There was a funeral at the chapel in 1997 – Mrs Beatrice Davies. The service was held at Lanteague as Zoar Chapel had closed. Beattie, as she was known, had been Secretary of Zoar for many years and was a faithful member. The internment was at Zoar and it was a very large funeral.
In January 1998 the New Year Service was cancelled as the weather was very stormy. Also the Secretary Mrs Callnon had just come home from hospital after having had a big operation, so could not be present to play the organ (the organ was also giving quite a bit of trouble), other members were also ill. Twice monthly meetings continued in February. There was a poor attendance at both the Anniversary and Harvest Services.
1999 – the year began with lots of illnesses. The Treasurer and his wife had chest trouble and there was no service for several weeks. The Secretary was also unwell – she was in her 84th year. Mrs Callnon informed the Treasurer that she would be resigning at the end of the year - she was suffering from Parkinson’s and getting worse; and she could not play the organ now, after 40 years, and also had failing sight. They struggled through the year with three members. Then there was sad news – Mrs Hellings had passed away. She was not a member ‘but was very faithful and we miss her’. The Anniversary Service was held as usual, with poor attendance, preached by Rev’d Nanette Head of Tenby – she was very good.
A letter dated 25 October 1999 from the U.R.C. in Cardiff and copied to Nanette Head stated – ‘It is important that the closing of the chapel is done with good order, both for the sake of yourselves as Officers and Church Members but also for the sake of the dignity of the way in which the church ends its history’.
Mrs Callnon wrote, ‘I have told our few members previously of my intention and found it very difficult to keep attending and asked to meet them for a discussion. At our meeting in December 1999 (with moderator present) it was decided sadly that we would have to close the chapel – our last service would be the Carol Service on 19th December – but closing for service in January to enable us to dispose of the contents. The chapel officially closed on 30th January 2000. This was decided after we were informed by U.R.C. that they meant to sell it for a dwelling, and as they held the deeds they were the legal owners of the property’.
In January 2000 Mrs Callnon received a letter from U.R.C.Wales. They stated that they consented to her request to allow the three remaining members of the chapel to be buried in the graveyard after the chapel closed. The Trust officers were ‘happy to accede to your request’. They also stated that the Trust would also give ‘consideration’ to the future maintenance of the graveyard. They had arranged to meet a surveyor at the chapel on the 13th to discuss the future of the chapel site.
In March 2000 a letter was again received from the U.R.C. to thank Mrs Callnon (former Secretary) and Mr Jones (former Treasurer) for the cheque for £2795.10 which was the closing balances of the three bank accounts in the name of Lanteague U.R.C.
Also in January 2000 Rev’d Dr K.Littler (of Pendine, Marros and Eglwys Cummin) wrote to Mrs Callnon to thank her for giving the organ (from Lanteague Chapel) to Marros. It had been transported to St Lawrence for the funeral of John Howells. The only organ they had had before was so bad no one would play it. “Giving your lovely organ from the Chapel, Mr Bryant Rees was able to play it for us at the funeral and this made a great difference to the proceedings. I am most distressed that it was necessary to close the chapel. We will think of you every time we have a service and will certainly remember you in our prayers.” They had been doing renovation work and Rev’d Littler said, “a flag flies from the tower for the first time in many, many years and the congregation has grown very noticeably”.
In March 2000 the U.R.C. in Cardiff wrote to Paul Lucas & Son instructing them to apply for outline planning permission to convert the building for residential use prior to advertising the property for sale. He was hopeful that this could be obtained and the site sold fairly quickly.
On 8 March 2000 Barclays Bank wrote to the Treasurer and Secretary informing them that they had forwarded all the money in the three accounts to the U.R.C. in Cardiff i.e. - £72.05, £1226.84 and £1496.21 – a total of £2795.10. The Chapel had even paid the insurance up to December 2000.
These chapel records will eventually be deposited in Haverforwest Record Office should anyone wish to consult them.